Name It & Claim It: I wanted a Chihuahua.

Name It & Claim It:  I wanted a Chihuahua.
I wanted a Chihuahua. A dog to fit into a bag. A travel companion who looked good in scarves.

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Thank You Girls and, Testify Week Two

Thank you, girls.

Week Two. Hmmmmmm. What do you want? What do you need? What does it look like? Smell like? Feel like? I know a girl who married her high school sweetheart. They are still together and have a beautiful life. And I know a girl who told her mom that she wanted to work at the Italian Embassy in Rome and next month she will start her new job at the Italian Embassy in Rome (mind you, she told her mom that more than a decade ago.) And I know a woman who wanted to dance and she did and she wanted to fall in love and she did. And I know another woman who wanted to LOVE AND BE LOVED like she never had been before her sixtieth birthday, and she is LOVING and IS BEING LOVED by an elegant man who loves books and gardening. I know a girl who wanted to use her degree to do good and that is what she does every morning when she goes to work, where she actually uses her degree.

In summer of 2008 I sat down for dinner at Lynn and Marty's in Soho and we had Lynn's pasta and it was splendid. And mutual friends Silvia and Ceasar were there, too. And I told Silvia I wanted to go to school but that I was having trouble finding the bachelor's program I needed to become a teacher- a B.A. online. She reminded me that she was a professor at ESC and told me about their distance learning program. She gave me a website address. I came back to Italy and set the goal: During Christmas break I would fill out the application forms and financial aid request and start in the September of my 50th year on the planet. And that is exactly what I did.

Now, there were lots of reasons not to go to school and some people even reminded me of those reasons. I will not empower those arguements by writing them here. I can only tell you that I am in school and it is glorious. Glorious. And the teenager who did not know how to study does not live here anymore. Nor does her older, university age version who dropped out of K.U. Now, in their place is a late bloomer who discovered school now when it suited her best, when her talents could be utilised, her writing richer, her world expanded and where she could bring a wealth of experience to the table.

Dream big. Dream BIG. DREAM BIG. DREAM BIGGER. Testify. Name it & Claim It.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my God, I can't go ahead with this day without sharing with you what's just happened.
    On Tuesday, 16th of March, I wrote in my morning pages that this week-end I would have loved to do something special. I thought about a short trip, (which is ALWAYS my idea of SPECIAL!), but I really don't want to organise anything and go far and blablabla.
    The day after I has been contacted by one site of house-sitting, of which I am a subscriber, for a week in June in a stunning house near here, up on the hills. I should decline the proposal, since I will be working that time, but put there my availability for week-ends.
    WELL, ALL AROUND THE WORLD DREAMERS, OPEN YOUR EARS: the owner of the property, (that happens to be a old stone house B&B with 4 rooms and bath with bathtubs, swimming-pool, garden and amazing view) replied that THIS WEEK-END would have been PERFECT for him to go to Florence:
    WOULD I BE INTERESTED IN TAKING CARE OF HIS HOUSE AND CATS?
    (Well,heaven does exist: I AM A CAT LOVER)
    Just happened. OH MY LORD. W-O-W.

    ReplyDelete